Wednesday, April 19, 2006

'Thou shalt version thy contracts' - The importance of versioning

It's always nice to have a concrete real world example of something. I got my example the other morning, my electric toothbrush stopped working. My toothbrush has replaceable brushes (a good idea provided they are in stock). It was time for a change in order to keep the pearly whites gleaming (I'd like to have all my own teeth when I'm 90). I bought a pack of refills for 'my' toothbrush, installation was a cinch ;0). I started it up and .................nothing happened. The motor whirred away happily but the brush didn't move. Why is this? They changed the interface ever so slightly but just enough to break the contract.

What should they have done; repeat after me 'thou shalt version thy contracts'.

I was frustrated, disappointed and annoyed. I stopped using my electric brush and bought a new brush(an old skool brush), one that can't disappoint me!

No comments: