Saturday, April 08, 2006

BizTalk 2006 Painless Install (beware of BAM Alerts)

I installed 2006 RTM in under 30 minutes the other day including configuration(obviously on a single developer machine ;0). For any biztalkers out there, cast your mind back to the nightmare that was the 2004 install. My compliments to Microsoft, they've taken the pain away.

One thing to note (it's in the upgrade guide I think) I tried to upgrade from an Enterprise beta version to a Developer RTM version; it's not possible. I uninstalled the beta and deleted the BTS databases. Here's why you should always RTFM; if you've previously configured BAM you will have a notification Services alert (probably BAMAlert). When you install the RTM and accept all the defaults your BAM configuration will fail unless you first delete the notification or second rename the notification in the config e.g. BAMAlerts1. Fortunately this was the only issue I had.

My next task start exploring the 3 full scenarios that are provided as samples (the setup of the samples looks painful).

No comments: